Chugai has identified “five strengths” to help stakeholders recognize and understand the source of its unique value. These strengths were selected through evaluation and analysis from the perspective of patient value and competitive advantage, based on quantitative, comparable information and data. To create value going forward, we have also specified initiatives for further developing our strengths, and will continuously enhance the source of our value creation.
Chugai has gained a reputation worldwide for its proprietary antibody engineering technologies as well as its strong drug discovery capabilities backed by a research infrastructure in various modalities*4 including small and mid-size molecules. We also focus on the development of innovative medicines through our proprietary drug discovery technology as we strive for a deeper understanding of disease biology. We are the leading presence in the Japanese therapeutic antibody market.
Chugai continuously generates innovative R&D projects. As a result, the Group’s drug discovery capabilities have been highly evaluated worldwide, with six drugs created by Chugai receiving nine Breakthrough Therapy*3 designations by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- *1 Copyright © 2023 IQVIA. Source: JPM 2022. Reprinted with permission. The scope of the market is defined by Chugai.
- *2 Ronapreve is excluded from the calculation of sales share for 2021 as the drug was not yet included on the NHI price list (supply to government).
- *3 A system introduced in July 2012 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration aimed at expediting the development and review of drugs for the treatment of severe or life-threatening diseases or symptoms
- *4 Refers to the material classification of a drug. (Small molecule, Antibody, Mid-size molecule, etc.).
In 2002, Chugai maintains its management autonomy under the strategic alliance with Roche, one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. In addition to efficiently in-licensing the Roche Group’s promising pharmaceuticals for sale in Japan, we use Roche’s powerful research infrastructure and its global development and sales platform to deliver innovative in-house products to the rest of the world.
As a result of in-licensing Roche products since the formation of the strategic alliance, our product lineup and development pipeline have expanded, and Chugai has gained the No.1 share of the oncology market in Japan.*5 By obtaining this stable revenue base, Chugai can concentrate investments on highly innovative proprietary technologies and drug discovery.
- *5 Copyright © 2023 IQVIA. Source: JPM 2022. Reprinted with permission. The scope of the market is defined by Chugai.
With projects developed in-house and in-licensed from Roche, Chugai has one of the richest development pipelines in Japan as well as the technologies and systems for efficient and stable production of the resulting new drugs. This underpins our continuous provision of innovative medicines.
As a pioneer of PHC in Japan, Chugai has contributed to the progress of this approach to healthcare, in which treatment plans are prepared according to each patient’s genetic profile and other factors. Today, our efforts include providing PHC that uses genomic analysis technology and contributing to the progress of cancer genomic medicine to usher in the next generation of PHC, which offers more advanced treatments optimized for each patient.
- *6 Foundation One® CDx Cancer Genomic Profile
The first cancer genomic profiling system in Japan to obtain regulatory approval as both a gene mutation analysis program (for use in cancer genomic profiling)
- *7 FoundationOne® Liquid CDx Cancer Genomic Profile
The first cancer genomic profiling test in Japan that combines blood-based comprehensive genomic profiling for solid tumors and companion diagnostic (CDx) functions for multiple cancer drugs approved in Japan.
- *8 No. of approved drugs in Japan (As of June 1 2023)
Chugai has established a system for providing solutions that can be precisely adapted to diverse needs in each region based on high-level expertise in each disease area. We provide information, host study sessions, and implement awareness raising activities in collaboration with the government in order to promote team medicine and regional healthcare collaboration. We also have established an industry-leading pharmacovigilance management system which is collecting, evaluating, and providing safety information to promote the proper use of our products and provide doctors with a sense of security when used in practice. Patient-centric initiatives such as these have led to strong support from healthcare professionals.
- *9 Source: Multimedia White Paper on Physicians _ Summer 2022 published by MCI DIGITAL, based on the survey of oncologists “owned media ranking (1st), non-pharma medical websites ranking (1st)”
- *10 Source: INTAGE Healthcare Inc., 2022 questionnaire about safety information needs