Chugai has identified “five strengths” to help stakeholders recognize and understand the source of its unique value. These strengths were selected through evaluation and analysis from the perspective of patient value and competitive advantage, based on quantitative, comparable information and data. Previously, we had established “seven strengths,” but due to factors including changes in the external environment and the evolution of Chugai’s various functions, we reorganized our strengths into five. To create value going forward, we have also specified initiatives for further developing our strengths, and will continuously enhance the source of our value creation.
Chugai has gained a reputation worldwide for its proprietary antibody engineering technologies as well as for its strong drug discovery capabilities backed by a research infrastructure in various modalities including small molecules. We also focus on technology research and genetic analysis for therapeutic antibodies as we strive for a deeper understanding of diseases and biology. We are the leading presence in the Japanese therapeutic antibody market.
- *1 Copyright © 2020 IQVIA. Source: JPM 2019. Reprinted with permission. The scope of the market is defined by Chugai.
- *2 A system introduced in July 2012 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration aimed at expediting the development and review of drugs for the treatment of severe or life-threatening diseases or symptoms
Chugai maintains its management independence under its strategic alliance with Roche, one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. In addition to efficiently in-licensing the Roche Group’s pharmaceuticals for sale in Japan, we use the Roche Group’s powerful research infrastructure and its global development and sales platform to offer significant value to the rest of the world.
With projects developed in-house and in-licensed from Roche, Chugai has one of the richest development pipelines in Japan as well as the technologies and systems for efficient and stable production of the resulting new drugs. This underpins our continuous provision of innovative medicines. As a result, in the oncology area, the market share was 16.4% (2019)*3, the No.1 share for 12 consecutive years and have market-leading product lineups in the fields of bone and joint diseases and renal diseases.
- *3 Copyright © 2020 IQVIA. Source: JPM 2019. Reprinted with permission. The scope of the market is defined by Chugai.
- *4 FoundationOne®️ CDx Cancer Genomic Profile
- *5 The first domestically approved Cancer Genomic Profile that has two functions: gene mutation analysis program (for use in cancer genome profiling) for solid tumors and somatic gene mutation analysis program (for use in assessing anticancer drug indications).
- *6 No. of approved drugs in Japan (As of June 2020)
As a pioneer of PHC in Japan, Chugai has contributed to the progress of this approach to healthcare, in which treatment plans are prepared according to each patient’s genetic profile and other factors. Today, our efforts include providing PHC that uses genomic analysis technology and contributing to the progress of cancer genomic medicine to usher in the next generation of PHC, which offers more advanced treatments optimized for each patient.
Chugai has established a system for providing solutions that can be precisely adapted to diverse needs in different regions, backed by industry-leading safety management and a high level of expertise in each disease area. Our efforts to promote multidisciplinary team care and regional healthcare coordination include providing various kinds of information, holding study sessions and cooperating with the government in activities to raise awareness. These initiatives receive strong support from healthcare providers.
- *7 Source: INTAGE Healthcare Inc., CS Survey of Oncology, 2019. Based on a survey of overall assessments of companies by physicians, as defined by Chugai.
- *8 Source: INTAGE Healthcare Inc., 2019 questionnaire about safety information needs