The Chugai Group considers environmental protection and occupational health and safety to be important platform that underpin the realization of its mission to benefit the medical community and human health around the world.
Because environmental protection is closely linked with health and safety, the Chugai Group has built a unified management system to advance these efforts more efficiently, in response to global demand for an integrated approach to managing the environment, health and safety (EHS). In addition to introducing this system, we have established basic regulations and use a PDCA cycle at each facility to manage these activities, with the goal of achieving long-term sustainable growth for the Chugai Group and for society as a whole.
Environment, Health and Safety Policy
The Environment, Health, and Safety Policy (“Policy”) intends to establish basic principles concerning Environment, Health, and Safety (“EHS”) of Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and its domestic and overseas subsidiaries (“Chugai Group”). The Policy also ensures that Chugai Group will conduct corporate activities that conserve the environment, and protects the health and safety of employees.
Compliance with applicable laws and regulations
The directors, officers and employees of any company in the Chugai Group (“We”) shall comply with applicable national and foreign laws and regulations, international arrangements, and voluntary standards pertaining to EHS activities*1.
Promotion of EHS activities
Under the EHS management system, we shall take initiative in promoting EHS activities on an ongoing basis.
Provision of education and training
Each company of the Chugai Group will provide education and training on an ongoing basis to enhance the employees’ knowledge and deepen their understanding of environmental conservation and health and safety.
Disclosure of information
Each company of the Chugai Group shall disclose information relating to EHS activities proactively, and make efforts to communicate with local communities.
- *1 The term “EHS activities” means: (a) initiatives to, for example, protect climate change, reduce resources and waste, prevent pollution, and maintain biodiversity throughout the entire process of medicinal products (i.e. from R&D to manufacturing, transportation, marketing and sales, and disposal); and (b) initiatives to, among other things, secure occupational safety which takes precedence over any other activities, maintain and improve the health of employees, and establish a comfortable working environment.
(Effective January 1, 2017)
Basic Approach to Environmental Protection Activities
The Chugai Group is proactive in its efforts to minimize our impact on the environment, based on our Environment, Health and Safety Policy, with the aim of contributing to the protection of the global environment as set forth in the Chugai Group Code of Conduct. We consider it important not only to comply with environmental regulations but to contribute to resolving social issues by fulfilling our responsibilities based on issues unique to the Chugai Group, including our handling of antibodies and highly pharmacologically active substances.
Basic approach to health and safety activities
Recognizing that the health of our employees is a valuable asset, the Chugai Group has worked to maintain and promote employee health and to create safe working environments. In December 2017, we issued the Chugai Group Declaration on Health which outlines our commitment to implementing those efforts, and will work to realize health and productivity management through a proactive approach to contributing to the well-being of our employees.
Chugai Group Declaration on Health
As a healthcare company, the Chugai Group recognizes the importance of employee health, and has worked to maintain and promote health.
The Chugai Group, as a top pharmaceutical company, will further improve productivity, pursue innovation and aim to enhance corporate value from the viewpoints of “economic performance,” “social awareness” and “human development.”*2
We believe that it is essential to realize an active and sound organizational culture where employees, who are the main driving force, can work positively in good physical and mental health.
We hereby declare that we will work to maintain and promote employees’ “individual health” as well as “organizational health” in the Chugai Group to realize health and productivity management.
December 1, 2017
Representative Director and Deputy Chairman
- *2 Economic performance, social awareness and human development represent, respectively, working toward profit growth and achieving lasting development; continuing to respond to the needs of society as a pharmaceutical company; and creating an environment in which employees can find work rewarding and continue to enhance their capabilities. Chugai has long sought to pursue these three elements in the belief that balancing them on a high level will lead to enhanced corporate value and sustained growth.
Health and Productivity Management
The Chugai Group has established goals, policies and priority items as it works to engage in more proactive, ongoing efforts to contribute to the well-being of its employees. By reaching these goals in the medium to long term, Chugai will achieve its vision for health and productivity management.
Chugai’s efforts to date in this area have also been recognized with our certification as a “White 500” Health and Productivity Management Organization 2021 (Large Enterprise Category)*3.
- *3 Under the Health and Productivity Management Organization program, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), in collaboration with the Nippon Kenko Kaigi, grants certification to large enterprises that demonstrate outstanding efforts in practicing health and productivity management. Refer to the METI website for details (in Japanese).
Vision and Policies
The Chugai Group actively works to maintain and enhance employee well-being, to ensure employees are healthy in both mind and body, and to nurture a vibrant, sound organizational culture.
・ The Chugai Group pursues both “individual health” and “organizational health” in a parallel way.
・ Chugai Group companies, Labor unions, and Chugai Pharmaceutical Health Insurance Society promote the activities jointly and cooperatively.
Priority Items and Goals
Six priority items – managing cancer; managing lifestyle-related diseases; managing mental health, managing presenteeism*4; improving health literacy; and managing workplace safety – have been established in the area of employee health and productivity management. Specific medium- to long-term targets have been set for the following items, and Chugai is engaged in activities aimed at achieving each of them.
- Cancer: Increase cancer screening participation rates (for lung, stomach, colon, breast and cervical cancer) to 90% or higher.
- Lifestyle-related diseases: Reduce the rate of high-risk individuals to 2% or lower by 2020.
- Health literacy: 90% or higher awareness of Company programs.
- Workplace safety: EHS risk assessments conducted at each site at least once every three years.
- *4 Employee is present but is unable to perform adequately due to a physical or mental health problem.
Under the “Chugai Group Declaration on Health”, the Chugai Group promotes health and productivity management and has established the following six priority items: managing cancer, managing lifestyle-related diseases, managing mental health, managing “presenteeism”, improving health literacy, and managing workplace safety.
In recent years, smoking is an even greater social issue. Chugai decided to strengthen smoking restrictions as a means for the control of cancer and lifestyle-related diseases, which are among the priority items in our health and productivity management. We hereby announce the “Chugai Group Non-Smoking Declaration” statement, aiming to reduce the smoking rate among employees to zero percent, and will strive to achieve the goal across the Group.
Chugai Group Non-Smoking Declaration
The Chugai Group promotes health and productivity management to keep employees working healthy and to provide a working environment that supports their wellbeing. We believe this is our responsibility as a company with a goal of becoming the top innovator in the healthcare industry. We will work together to promote non-smoking throughout the Chugai Group, with a goal of “zero percent” smoking-rate among all employees, thus eliminating the negative impacts caused by smoking including passive smoking.
September 25, 2019
Representative Director, President & CEO
Goals and initiatives to achieve non-smoking within Chugai Group (in Japan)
Goals (in Japan):
- End of September 2020: Smoking prohibited in all workplaces
- End of 2021: Smoking prohibited during work hours
- End of 2030: Achieve a “zero percent” smoking-rate
- Implement gradual smoking control programs on a clear timeline
- Develop policy to avoid recruitment of smokers (Japan offices only)
- Each workplace develops concrete actions based on individual circumstances.
- Improve health literacy related to smoking.
- Encourage employees to quit smoking with the aid of support services.