The Chugai Group has set goals for environmental protection, health, and safety to promote these activities from a medium-to-long-term perspective.
Mid-Term Environmental Goals
In 2014, the Chugai Group set the following four mid-term environmental goals, with 2020 as the final year, to promote environmental protection activities from a medium-to-long-term perspective.
- Energy consumption per employee: 20 percent reduction compared with 2010
- Discontinuance of the use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs)
- Zero emissions of waste*1: Three facilities
- Average fuel efficiency of MR fleet: 16 km/L or higher
*1. A waste recycling ratio of 99 percent or more
Environmental Action Plans
As we work toward achieving our mid-term environmental goals, we have implemented an ongoing program of environmental and safety activities that involve setting yearly action goals or plans for each item based on the mid-term plan, evaluating the results, and reflecting those results in the following year's plan.
Health and Safety Goals
The Chugai Group has set the following mid-term goals for priority areas to promote safety and health activities based on the Basic Approach.
- Cancer prevention and treatment support: Increase cancer screening participation rates (Lung, stomach, colon, breast, and cervical cancer) to 90% or higher.
- Lifestyle disease prevention: Reduce the rate of high-risk individuals to 4% in 2020 and equal to or less than 1% from 2022.
- Mental health: Promote mental health measures.
- Presenteeism: Reduce productivity loss due to presenteeism.
- Health literacy: Increase awareness of related internal systems to 90% or higher.
- Occupational safety and hygiene: Conduct EHS risk assessment at all business sites.
Initiatives by Theme
|Theme||Approach to Initiative|
|Reduction of Climate Change Risk||Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by reducing energy consumption and phasing out the use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs). Focus not only on energy management at plants and laboratories, but also on Company-wide initiatives. Promote fuel-efficient vehicles in MR fleet, etc.|
|Resource Conservation/Waste Management||Achieve zero emissions of waste by improving recycling ratio and further reducing landfill waste.|
|Biodiversity Protection||Prevent emissions of pollutants into the environment by observing regulatory limits for air, water quality and soil. In particular, focus on controlling emissions into water with whole effluent toxicity (WET) tests and other methods to protect the water environment.|
|Chemical Substance Management||Promote the establishment of a system for proper management of chemical substances to ensure safety and prevent environmental pollution.|
|Reduction of Environmental Risk||Ensure thorough compliance with environmental laws and regulations by conducting extensive environmental law checks through external consultants.|
|Implementation of Risk Assessment||Create work environments that are free from unacceptable risks.|
|Employee Health Management||Maintain a support system based on cooperation with the health management organization and related departments.|
|Support for Employees with Cancer||Provide enhanced support for continuing to work while undergoing cancer treatment.|
|Measures for Employees with Cancer||Expanded support for balancing treatment and work
Increased percentage of employees undergoing cancer screening
|Measures to address lifestyle-related diseases||Encouraging screening of high-risk individuals
Health guidance for individuals with specific findings
|Mental health measures||Implementation of return-to-work programs|
|Measures to address presenteeism||Planning and implementation of measures based on survey results|
|Health literacy||Providing health-related information
Holding lectures, seminars, etc.
|Measures to address occupational injuries||Implementation of measures based on EHS risk assessments|