- Chugai is included in all four ESG indices since the initiation of ESG investment by GPIF
- Chugai has been selected as constituents in global ESG indices, 19th consecutive year by FTSE4Good Index Series and 12th consecutive year by MSCI ESG Leaders Indexes
- Continued to obtain “AA,” the second-highest level in the MSCI ESG rating that evaluates ESG risk tolerance
TOKYO, July 30, 2021 -- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (TOKYO: 4519) announced that it has been continuously included as a constituent stock in all indices of the Japanese equities for environmental, social and governance (ESG) investment selected by the Government Pension Investment Fund (GPIF) of Japan.
<Four ESG Indices Selected by GPIF>
- FTSE Blossom Japan Index (commenced investment from July 2017):
- An index designed to reflect the performance of Japanese companies demonstrating excellent environmental, social, and governance practices.
- MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index (commenced investment from July 2017):
- An index created from the stocks of companies with a relatively high ESG rating in each industry from among the top 700 Japanese companies by market capitalization.
- MSCI Japan Empowering Women Index (WIN) (commenced investment from July 2017):
- An index created from a selection of companies with excellent gender diversity practices in each industry from among the top 700 Japanese companies by market capitalization.
- S&P/JPX Carbon Efficient Index (commenced investment from September 2018):
- An index designed to measure the performance of companies in the Tokyo Stock Price Index (TOPIX) based on disclosures of environmental information and levels of carbon efficiency.
*Chugai is included in all four ESG indices since the initiation of ESG investment.
The sustainability of Chugai has been highly regarded in terms of ESG practices, as Chugai has been selected as a constituent in the FTSE4Good Index Series for the 19th consecutive year and in the MSCI ESG Leaders Indexes for the 12th consecutive year, both of which are major ESG indices. In addition, we have continued to receive an “AA,” rating, the second-highest of the seven levels in the MSCI ESG rating that evaluates ESG risk tolerance, indicating that our risk tolerance to various ESG risks that may occur in the future is relatively high.
Chugai’s basic management policy is “creating shared value between our company and society” and “realize advanced and sustainable medical care centered on patients.” This philosophy is also in line with the “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” set by the United Nations. Chugai will continue to strive for appropriate disclosure of information on the SDGs and ESG initiatives, create value for patients and society by leveraging innovation that only Chugai can provide, and contribute to solving social issues and building a sustainable society through our business activities.
External Evaluations at Chugai Sustainability website
Activity Reports at Chugai Sustainability website
Chugai Annual Reports
- For Media
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Media Relations Group, Corporate Communications Dept.,
- Tomoko Shimizu
- Tel: +81-3-3273-0881
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Investors
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Investor Relations Group, Corporate Communications Dept.,
- Toshiya Sasai
- Tel: +81-3-3273-0554
- E-mail: email@example.com