- Emphasize the importance of cervical cancer screening through commonly used media among young generation at the occasion of Uterus Day.
- Continue cervical cancer awareness activities started last year through a tie-up with partners including local governments.
- Launch new disease awareness activities in partnership with Roche Diagnostics K.K. this year.
TOKYO, April 9, 2020 -- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (TOKYO: 4519) announced the details of its cervical cancer awareness activities to increase the screening rate. The activities target the age group most at risk for developing cervical cancer and parents of adolescents.
The number of younger patients with cervical cancer has been increasing in recent years, particularly among those in their 20s to 40s.1) The cervical cancer screening is the only cancer screening program that is currently recommended by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) for women aged 20 or above since this type of cancer should be detected at early curable stage.2) In Japan, however, the cervical cancer screening rate still remains at 42.1%,3) the lowest level in 30 member countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
In order to eradicate cervical cancer, Chugai started disease awareness activities last year to improve the screening rate in Japan in collaboration with Osaka, Yokohama and other local governments. This year, Chugai rolls out further activities in partnership with Roche Diagnostics K.K. (Head Office, Tokyo; President and CEO, Makoto Ogasawara; hereinafter “RDKK”), the Japanese subsidiary of the Diagnostics Division of Roche Group, by leveraging the strengths of both companies. Specifically, the activities will include the shared use of disease awareness videos, brochures, and posters, as well as disease awareness initiatives through a tie-up with local governments with which we have concluded the comprehensive partnership agreements. RDKK has been actively focusing on the importance of early detection of cervical cancer with HPV testing and engaging in various awareness activities to prevent cervical cancer since 2009.
(1) Call for the importance of cervical cancer screening through commonly used media among young generation (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, and News app.).
- Distribute educational articles to encourage the screening via Facebook(Chugai’s Official Facebook) and News App. (grape) at the occasion of Uterus Day (April 9).
- Further provide young people with an opportunity to consider their health through Chugai’s educational video (“You…the one most responsible for you”; play time, 6 min. and 30 sec.) released last year on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/chugaijp).
(2) Roll out activities in collaboration with local governments with which Chugai concluded the comprehensive partnership agreements and RDKK to increase the screening rate.
- Conduct collaborative activities with RDKK by mutually utilizing each party’s expertise and materials to increase the screening rate particularly among women in their 20s with low screening rate, involving each local government.
- Use an educational flyer for cervical cancer screening with Q&A to relieve uneasiness, clearly explaining the flow of the screening with illustrations. Distribute the flyer at coming-of-age ceremonies and universities in collaboration with each local government.
(3) Awareness activities to increase the screening rate among Chugai Group employees
- Achieved improvement in the screening rate in some Chugai offices by establishing a system that allows employees to simultaneously undergo regular checkup and gynecological cancer screening in corporation with the health insurance association (the overall screening rate of cervical cancer screening which had been 60.4% in the previous year, increased to 62.9% across the company in 2019).
- Conducted an in-house workshop presenting the current situation around cervical cancer in Japan at the occasion of World Cancer Day.
As a leading company in the oncology area, Chugai will continue to engage in disease awareness activities in oncology including gynecological cancer, which will lead to trust and appreciation from all stakeholders including patients, their families, and healthcare professionals.
Chugai Conducts Educational Campaign to Promote Cervical Cancer Screening Across Japan with Local Governments and Other Partners (Press release issued on May 31, 2019)
- Japan Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology; To Correctly Understand Cervical Cancer and HPV Vaccines
http://www.jsog.or.jp/modules/jsogpolicy/index.php?content_id=4 (Browsed on March 13, 2020)
- The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare; Test Items for Municipal Cancer Screening
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/0000059490.html (Browsed on March 13, 2020)
- The Screening Rate of Cervical Cancer Screening among Women Aged 20 to 69 in 2015; OECD, OECD Health Data 2015, June 2015
- For Media
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Media Relations Group, Corporate Communications Dept.,
- Tomoko Shimizu
- Tel: +81-3-3273-0881
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Investors
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Investor Relations Group, Corporate Communications Dept.,
- Toshiya Sasai
- Tel: +81-3-3273-0554
- E-mail: email@example.com