Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Embrace Co., Ltd.
IQVIA Solutions Japan K.K.
TOKYO, October 18, 2018 -- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (TOKYO: 4519), Embrace Co., Ltd. (TOKYO), and IQVIA Solutions Japan K.K. (TOKYO) announced results of a validation test for a Web app to support drug adherence. Chugai has provided certain key hospitals with a trial service of a Web app that integrates a Xeloda® adherence support app, which enables patients to record administration of the drug, developed by Chugai and a MedicalCareStation, a multi-disciplinary SNS (social networking service) developed by Embrace Co., Ltd. (TOKYO) for the purpose of promoting communication between patients and healthcare providers and managing side effects. Results from a validation test of the App have been reported in collaboration with IQVIA.
[Background of a trial use of a Xeloda administration recording app]
A survey conducted by Chugai with patients who underwent chemotherapy* revealed that 21% of patients have less than five minutes to talk with their doctor during a physician’s visit. In response to a question asking when they felt uneasy, 35% of patients answered that it was in the period from being diagnosed with cancer to the hospitalization, and 21% said it was while they were taking a medical treatment. Also, 31% of patients said their nurses always made time for them to answer any questions they have, while 10% of patients answered that talking with nurses was difficult as they were busy.
* Survey target: 146 patients who received chemotherapy
Method: Web survey
Survey period: December 13, 2017 - December 18, 2017
[Evaluation by healthcare providers and patients/family members who used the Xeloda administration recording app]
After the app was used at several hospitals for a certain period of time, IQVIA conducted a questionnaire survey and an interview with healthcare providers, patients/family members to analyze the app usage log and make a comprehensive evaluation of the usefulness of the app. Consequently, the degree of satisfaction of both healthcare providers and patients/family members was high. At the same time, some issues in offering the app in the future were revealed.
[Scheme of survey]
Survey period: June - August 2018
Survey target: 15 healthcare providers (doctors, nurses and pharmacists), 6 cancer patients and 4 patient’s family members who participated in the trial use of the app.
Questionnaire respondents: 15 healthcare providers, 2 patients, and 1 patient’s family member
Group interview: Healthcare providers (conducted at each hospital)
[Summary of survey results]
- Questionnaire survey results
- 80% (12/15 people) of people who answered to the questionnaire said, “It is useful, even though it requires time and effort.”
- About 50% (8/15 people) of people who answered to the questionnaire said, “I want to recommend this to other hospitals." One third (5/15 people) responded,” “Neutral. We need to consider target patients and timing.”
- About 80% (13/15 people) of people who answered to the questionnaire appreciated the app’s function to enhance communicate between healthcare providers and patients/family members, mainly because it was useful for early detection of patients’ condition including adverse events and deepening consultations.
- About half (8/15 people) of people who answered to the questionnaire responded, “I could shorten the consultation time.”
- While some people appreciated the app’s function to enable E-mail communication, there was also a comment that “It is troublesome to use everyday.”
- Results of group interview with healthcare providers
- They appreciated that “they could detect adverse events early and deal with them promptly”, “they could deepen their consultation with patients since they could have more information prior to their patients coming to the hospital,” and “they could reduce anxiety of their patients/family members since they could take care of those patients/their family members while they were at home.”
- There were comments that “it was a pain to enter information into the app and making phone calls is faster to communicate with patients”, “need to select target patients”, and “system improvement is necessary.”
- Status of the usage of the app
- Both healthcare providers and patients/family members more entered their comments to the app at the outset of the introduction of the app, and the number of comments entries gradually reduced.
- Entry of medication status by patients/family members was done almost every day, and entry of symptoms was done once a week or so.
[For the future]
To ensure smooth communication between more patients and healthcare providers, Chugai will continue to be committed to promoting treatment support activities and side effects management by providing new solutions in other therapeutic area as well.
Notes regarding this app
- Medical fee cannot be claimed for the reimbursement by the National Health Insurance.
- If an adverse event is observed after the administration of Xeloda, healthcare providers are required to report the event to Chugai separately from the app.
Chugai Pharmaceutical is one of Japan’s leading research-based pharmaceutical companies with strengths in biotechnology products. Chugai, based in Tokyo, specializes in prescription pharmaceuticals and is listed on the 1st section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange. As an important member of the Roche Group, Chugai is actively involved in R&D activities in Japan and abroad. Specifically, Chugai is working to develop innovative products which may satisfy the unmet medical needs, mainly focusing on the oncology area.
In Japan, Chugai’s research facilities in Gotemba and Kamakura are collaborating to develop new pharmaceuticals and laboratories in Ukima are conducting research for technology development for industrial production. Overseas, Chugai Pharmabody Research based in Singapore is engaged in research focusing on the generation of novel antibody drugs by utilizing Chugai’s proprietary innovative antibody engineering technologies. Chugai Pharma USA and Chugai Pharma Europe are engaged in clinical development activities in the United States and Europe.
The consolidated revenue in 2017 of Chugai totaled 534.2 billion yen and the operating income was 103.2 billion yen (IFRS Core basis).
Additional information is available on the internet at https://www.chugai-pharm.co.jp/english/.
Embrace’s mission is to create the new social infrastructure by providing Medical and Nursing ICT Platform. Since 2013, our Medical and Nursing SNS called “MedicalCareStation” has been used by tens of thousands of medical facilities, doctors, nurses and caregivers including over 180 Medical Associations in Japan.
We focus on solving issues that has been and will be caused by the ‘Aging Society’ and we try to establish the new eco-system among medical-staffs, patients, residents, partner companies and the government by connecting them on MedicalCareStation platform.
IQVIA (NYSE:IQV) is a leading global provider of information, innovative technology solutions and contract research services focused on helping healthcare clients find better solutions for patients. Formed through the merger of IMS Health and Quintiles, IQVIA applies human data science - leveraging the analytic rigor and clarity of data science to the ever-expanding scope of human science - to enable companies to reimagine and develop new approaches to clinical development and commercialization, speed innovation, and accelerate improvements in healthcare outcomes. Powered by the IQVIA CORE™, IQVIA delivers unique and actionable insights at the intersection of large-scale analytics, transformative technology and extensive domain expertise, as well as execution capabilities. With more than 55,000 employees, IQVIA conducts operations in more than 100 countries.
IQVIA is a global leader in protecting individual patient privacy. The company uses a wide variety of privacy-enhancing technologies and safeguards to protect individual privacy while generating and analyzing the information that helps their customers drive human health outcomes forward. IQVIA’s insights and execution capabilities help biotech, medical device and pharmaceutical companies, medical researchers, government agencies, payers and other healthcare stakeholders tap into a deeper understanding of diseases, human behaviors and scientific advances, in an effort to advance their path toward cures. To learn more, visit www.IQVIA.com.
Trademarks used or mentioned in this release are protected by law.
Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Media Relations Group,
Corporate Communications Dept.
Embrace Co., Ltd.
MedicalCareStation Support Desk
IQVIA Solutions Japan K.K.
Corporate Communication (IQVIA Japan Group, Communication & Marketing)