Posted on April 17, 2020
Updated on March 1, 2022
We wish to offer our sympathies to everyone around the world affected by the novel coronavirus infection, their families, and others such as healthcare workers and first responders involved. We also extend our deepest condolences to those who have lost loved ones.
At Chugai, we give top priority to the safety of our stakeholders and employees, and are taking various measures to prevent the spread of infection. To ensure a stable supply of pharmaceuticals, we are keeping up to date on the situation and impact in Japan and abroad, and implementing the necessary measures to address business continuity and important issues in each business function.
Chugai’s mission is to dedicate itself to adding value by creating and delivering innovative products and services for the medical community and human health around the world. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety of our stakeholders and employees, and ensuring the stable supply of our drugs to patients, while at the same time focusing on preventing the spread of novel coronavirus infections.
Current Status of Novel Coronavirus Infections at Chugai (Updated on September 8, 2021)
Chugai Group Efforts
Stable supply of our drugs
We have taken the necessary measures to supply our drugs inside and outside of Japan, and no adverse impact is seen at this time. Going forward, we will take steps to ensure a continued stable supply, even if the infection is prolonged or becomes more serious.
Measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in Japan
- Work systems for employees in Japan
- Thoroughly implement online meeting for those employees whose duties can be done from home.
- Employees are recommended to stagger commuting time to avoid rush hour trains and buses, etc.
Status of Telework Implementation
As a result of the above work system, approx. 60% of employees who can telework* (approx. 60% of total employees) work from home, while at the head office (Tokyo) the percentage of employees teleworking is approx. 70%.
* Excluding employees involved in the supply of pharmaceuticals or R&D activities.
- Use of video or teleconferencing is recommended.
- Meetings and business trips that involve going out are kept to the minimum necessary, and to pay close attention to infection prevention measures if it is to take place.
- Decisions on holding and participating in events and meetings with external parties will take into account the situation in each region. Thoroughly implement measures to prevent infection if it is to take place.
- Employees who go to work will take their temperature and confirm they have no fever before going to the workplace.
- Masks must be worn during commuting time and while working, and hand washing, hand disinfection and coughing etiquette are thoroughly enforced in the workplace.
- Employees rest at home if they feel unwell.
Situation at Chugai Group companies outside of Japan
At this time, there is no impact on corporate activities at any Chugai Group company.
In-license of Antibody Cocktail for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Agreement reached with Roche in December 2020 to obtain development and marketing rights in Japan.
- Approved by MHLW in July 2021 as the first treatment for mild to moderate COVID-19.
- Approved for the additional indication of preventive treatment of symptomatic COVID-19.
Clinical Development of ACTEMRA® for the treatment of COVID-19
- Inside and outside Japan, results were obtained for phase III clinical trials targeting hospitalized patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia, including COVACTA study (overseas), REMDACTA study for Actemra plus remdesivir (overseas), and J-COVACTA study (Japan).
- Roche received U.S. FDA Emergency Use Authorization in June 2021 for the treatment of hospitalized adults and children with COVID-19
- Roche Approved by the European Commission in December 2021 for the treatment of patients with severe COVID-19.
- Approved by MHLW in January 2022 for the additional indication of SARS-CoV-2* pneumonia.
- WHO granted Roche prequalification in February 2022 for the treatment of patients with severe or critical COVID-19.
* Virus that causes COVID-19
Chugai to discontinue development of oral COVID-19 drug candidate AT-527 in Japan.
For further details, click the following news release.
Update on the Development of Oral COVID-19 Drug Candidate AT-527 in Japan（Dec 16, 2021）［PDF：269kb］
Chugai Group Support Activities
- Chugai has made a financial donation of RMB 1 million to the Red Cross Society of China to support activities to control the coronavirus outbreak in the People’s Republic of China. (Mar 5, 2020)
- Fuji Gotemba Research Laboratories has donated medical supplies (including 600 protective raincoats) to Gotemba City. (May 8, 2020)
- Chugai has donated JPY 50 million to The Nippon Foundation and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government to support the efforts of healthcare professionals in Japan who are engaged in the treatment and prevention of coronavirus (COVID-19). (June 10, 2020)
- In order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection, Chugai has donated five million yen to the Kanagawa Corona Medical and Welfare Support Fund to support people working in medical, welfare, and nursing care facilities and those who support them. (July 20, 2020)
Group Company Activities
- Chugai Pharmabody Research (CPR) has made a donation of S$12,000 to the Courage Fund of the Community Chest in Singapore to support the government’s efforts to combat the novel coronavirus. (Feb 18, 2020)
- Chugai Group companies in Europe have contributed a total of €120,000 to support medical professionals and those affected by the novel coronavirus pandemic. (May 22, 2020)
- UK: Chugai Pharma Europe and Chugai Pharma UK donated €40,000 to The National Emergencies Trust.
- France: Chugai Pharma France donated €40,000 to Fondation de France.
- Germany: Chugai Pharma Germany donated €40,000 to The German Red Cross.
Press Releases Related to Coronavirus
Chugai News Releases are issued to provide stakeholders with the most up-to-date information related to our company. In some instances, information on products or drug candidates under development may be included, but this is intended for members of the media, shareholders, and investors. The information is not intended for promotional or advertising purposes, or as medical advice, etc.