Posted April 17, 2020
Updated May 28, 2020
We wish to offer our sympathies to everyone around the world affected by the novel coronavirus infection, their families, and others such as healthcare workers and first responders involved. We also extend our deepest condolences to those who have lost loved ones.
At Chugai, we believe the safety of all stakeholders and employees is the top priority. Under our Coronavirus Emergency Response Headquarters, headed by Representative Director and Deputy Chairman Motoo Ueno, the situation and impact is being assessed both internally and externally, and we are taking actions to address business continuity and important issues in each business function in the company.
Chugai’s mission is to dedicate itself to adding value by creating and delivering innovative products and services for the medical community and human health around the world. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety of our stakeholders and employees, and ensuring the stable supply of our drugs to patients, while at the same time focusing on preventing the spread of novel coronavirus infections.
Chugai Group Efforts
Stable supply of our drugs
We have taken the necessary measures to supply our drugs inside and outside of Japan, and no adverse impact is seen at this time. Going forward, we will take steps to ensure a continued stable supply, even if the infection is prolonged or becomes more serious.
Measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in Japan
- Work systems for employees in Japan
- Telecommuting is recommended for those employees whose duties can be done from home.
- Employees are recommended to stagger commuting time to avoid rush hour trains and buses, etc.
- In principle, telecommuting will be implemented in regions where the government has declared a state of emergency. In addition, when it is necessary to go to the workplace, priority is given to important tasks.
- Internal meetings and business travel
- Use of video or teleconferencing is recommended. In addition, meetings and business trips that involve travel across prefectures are, in principle, cancelled.
- Holding or participating in events or meetings with external parties
- Decisions on holding and participating in events and meetings with external parties will take into account the situation in each region and give due consideration to measures for the prevention of infections.
- Prevention of infection
- Employees who go to work will take their temperature and confirm they have no fever before going to the workplace.
- Hand washing, hand disinfection and coughing etiquette are thoroughly enforced in the workplace.
- Standards of behavior when feeling unwell
- Employees rest at home if they feel unwell.
Situation at Chugai Group companies outside of Japan
The same infection control measures, such as working from home and cancelation of events and business trips, have been implemented at Chugai Group companies in Europe, the United States, and Singapore. As for our Group companies in Taiwan and China, some employees have returned to their workplace and production has restarted.
Clinical trial of ACTEMRA for the treatment of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pneumonia
- Outside of Japan, Roche is implementing a global Phase III clinical trial of Actemra targeting hospitalized patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia.
- In Japan, enrollment started in Chugai’s Phase III clinical trial targeting hospitalized patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia.
Joint Research on a Therapeutic Antibody to Fight COVID-19
Chugai Pharmabody Research Pte. Ltd. (CPR), a Chugai Group research center in Singapore, has begun joint research on a therapeutic antibody to fight COVID-19, with the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) in Singapore.
Chugai Group Support Activities
- Chugai has made a financial donation of RMB 1 million to the Red Cross Society of China to support activities to control the coronavirus outbreak in the People’s Republic of China. (Mar 5, 2020)
- Fuji Gotemba Research Laboratories has donated medical supplies (including 600 protective raincoats) to Gotemba City. (May 8, 2020)
- Chugai has decided to donate JPY 50 million to The Nippon Foundation and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government to support the efforts of healthcare professionals in Japan who are engaged in the treatment and prevention of coronavirus (COVID-19). (May 21, 2020)
Group Company Activities
- Chugai Pharmabody Research (CPR) has made a donation of S$12,000 to the Courage Fund of the Community Chest in Singapore to support the government’s efforts to combat the novel coronavirus. (Feb 18, 2020)
- Chugai Group companies in Europe have contributed a total of €120,000 to support medical professionals and those affected by the novel coronavirus pandemic. (May 22, 2020)
- UK: Chugai Pharma Europe and Chugai Pharma UK donated €40,000 to The National Emergencies Trust.
- France: Chugai Pharma France donated €40,000 to Fondation de France.
- Germany: Chugai Pharma Germany donated €40,000 to The German Red Cross.
Press Releases Related to Coronavirus
Chugai News Releases are issued to provide stakeholders with the most up-to-date information related to our company. In some instances, information on products or drug candidates under development may be included, but this is intended for members of the media, shareholders, and investors. The information is not intended for promotional or advertising purposes, or as medical advice, etc.